You can follow me through here and we can visit a while.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Happy Rednesday Wednesday!!!

  Welcome to my first Rednesday Wednesday Blog Party. I must admit Rednesday was not my idea. Credit goes to Sue over at It's A Very Cherry World who is an awesome Blogger and good friend. She decided to pass on the baton so to speak and I hope I can as be as good a hostess as she has been over the years.
.   
I am so happy you could come for my first Rednesday. Come on in...................................................


 We can all gather in the kitchen. As you can see I love red and white with a touch of black. Strawberries are the best to me. I have been collecting red items, aluminum, and strawberry motif things since I was 10...yes I was planning even then..hehe.
OOps, where's my manners....before I show you around.....Can I offer something cool to drink? I know it's gotten a little warm outside.


  • Prep Time10 min
  • Total Time4 hr 10 min
  • Servings10

Ingredients

1
can (12 oz)  frozen organic lemonade concentrate, thawed
1
bag (10 oz)  frozen organic strawberries, thawed
1
cup water
5
cups ginger ale, club soda or lemon-lime carbonated beverage
Directions
  • 1In blender, place lemonade concentrate and strawberries; blend on high speed until smooth. Pour into nonmetal freezer container. Stir in water. Cover; freeze at least 4 hours.
  • 2If mixture is frozen solid, let stand at room temperature about 15 min. For each serving, measure 1/2 cup slush mixture into 8-oz glass; stir in 1/2 cup ginger ale. Serve immediately.

 Oh, I see you're eyeing my wall collages..as I call em...here...



These close-ups let's you see more of my varied collections.
Salt and Peppers, tins, animal cracker boxes,. The red round tins on the bottom shelf are mini cookie/canape cutters from the 40's. The Kraft Cheese box on the second shelf as well as the small Mammoth Cave souvenir mug is a contribution from my CarGuy..Thank goodness he's been a hoarder......er....collector  since childhood too! 











More tins, old bottles, Kellogg delivery trucks... CarGuy again. Hey It;s his kitchen too so I put a little touch here and there....some more Salt and Peppers, and of course vintage cook booklets/










I have a lot of Strawberries in my kitchen. This vignette on top of the microwave..LOL...no surface is safe from my accenting.....  shows a few of my fav pieces  A Fitz and Floyd Pitcher, a 1940's creamer and sugar set, salt and pepper, and a Mikasa mixing mixing bowl I purchased at the Mikasa Outlet store when it first opened in Pigeon Forge Tn..  It was only $5! The hand-crocheted doily is a recent find.

Over here is where I do my baking


As you can see I view all walls as a blank canvas just waiting to be filled.



I'm lucky to have counter space

and, even the stove and fridge sport thier red 


 I know it seems I have a big kitchen,but in reality it is a small galley kitchen It;s warm and cozy to me filled with all my favorite things. Now before you go looking closer grab a little treat I made especially for Rednesday................


Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cake

Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cake
Strawberry cake is jam-packed with flavor from tangy strawberry gelatin to rich chocolate frosting


prep Time15 min
total Time 2 hr 0 min
Servings 16

Ingredients

Cake

1
box  white cake mix
1
box (4-serving size) strawberry-flavored gelatin
Water, vegetable oil and whole eggs called for on cake mix box

Dipped Strawberries

1
pint (2 cups) medium-large strawberries (18 to 20 strawberries)
1/2
cup white vanilla baking chips
1
teaspoon shortening or vegetable oil

Filling and Frosting

1
cup seedless strawberry jam
1
container milk chocolate frosting

Directions

  • 1  Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease and lightly flour bottoms and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans, or spray with baking spray with flour. In large bowl, mix cake mix and gelatin. Beat in water, oil and whole eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pans.
  • 2  Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
  • 3  Meanwhile, gently rinse strawberries and dry on paper towels (berries must be completely dry). Line cookie sheet with waxed paper. In 1-quart saucepan, melt vanilla baking chips and shortening over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
  • 4  Dip lower half of each strawberry into vanilla chip mixture; allow excess to drip back into saucepan. Place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate until coating is firm, about 30 minutes, or until serving time.
  • 5  Split each cake layer horizontally into 2 layers. On serving plate, place top of 1 layer, cut side up; spread with 1/3 cup of the jam. Add bottom half of layer, cut side down; spread with 1/3 cup jam. Add top of second layer, cut side up; spread with remaining 1/3 cup jam. Add bottom of remaining layer. Frost side and top of cake with frosting. Arrange dipped strawberries around top of cake. Store covered in refrigerator.
  • TIPS:   Split the layers by pulling a piece of unflavored dental floss horizontally through the middle of the layer, moving floss in a back-and-forth motion. Skip the dipped strawberries and just serve a fresh strawberry with each cake serving. If using oil rather than shortening when making dipped strawberries, garnish the cake just before serving
Boy,  I am so happy you stopped by today for my first Rednesday Wednesday.  As a thank you for coming I am having a special giveaway for all those who participate in my link-in party  or just leave a comment during the month of September.. The lucky winner will receive .this......................
French country inspired tablerunner


The botanical print is new material. The appliques at both ends were hand-embroidered  and accented by new rick-rack


And, there are a couple of surprises too! Winner will be chosen at random and announced
Wednesday Oct. 2nd.

Again Thanks so much for attending  Rednesday Wednesday and
remember, before you leave print a copy of the recipes as your party favor.


Reminder:  Mark your calender
Rednesday Wednesday is a weekly
Blog Party oppen to all. Next Rednesday is Sept. 18th
Please spread the word..
















10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melody, thank you for hosting Rednesdays. I'm looking forward to many more. The recipes sound yummylicious, and I'm grateful for the tour of your delightful kitchen with all its red accents.

Oh, I just healed a pulled back muscle, also, so I certainly am wishing you good health.

The table runner you are offering is lovely! I'll go back to my blog and add it in my post. It will be exciting to discover the blessed home it will be gracing.

Happy Rednesday Wednesday, Melody,

Marianne

Debbi said...

Oh I am gonna love this party....and go ahead and use the ecs inlinx so you can have thumbnails instead of just a line link.

Donna said...

Melody,
Thanks for taking over the reins for Sue. I was wondering where to go for Rednesday.
Love your kitchen. I want to know where you got that cute "RED" utensil rack. I want one!
Donna

deb said...

Your kitchen is darling! I love when there's so many Treasures to look at.
*hugs*deb

Anonymous said...

Happy Rednesday, Melody!

You have so many fun reds in your kitchen! I really like your BREAD box.

Thanks for picking up the baton!

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Melody!.. And Happy Rednesday! I wasn't able to participate in time for today, as I'm a little out of sync while the new school year starts again; but I'll try to be better prepared to post next Tuesday night! Loved the tour of your kitchen! The set of strawberries that adorn the top of your microwave really caught my eye in particular!.. Oh, and that cake looks absolutely sinful, and I am absolutely weak in the knees just looking at it! Thanks for sharing the recipe! ((hugs)) ~tina

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Thanks so much for hosting! I found you through Sally Magundy's blog. So many lovely reds! I don't have much red, a couple apples and berries on my tablecloth, but didn't want to miss it. Your blog is beautiful and I'm now a follower. I'm drooling over your strawberry cake, and vow to make it! Heavenly! Thanks, Pam

PS/I'm having a blog anniversary giveaway, so please come visit and sign up on that post.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Congrats on hosting Rednesday! I was going to link up, but looks like the link is closed. Will join the party another time. I enjoyed seeing the fun reds in your kitchen.
hugs,
Jann

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How exciting! I'm going to try to link with you next time! This will be FUN! Thanks so much! I'm a follower, too! Hugs!

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Hi Melody!
So nice to see you post again and wishing you lots of fun hosting Rednesday! Thanks so much for inviting us all to your party and for the tour and yummy recipes. :)

Now please don't include me in your drawing ... I'm trying desperately STILL, to dig myself out from under my parents things and have even moved on to my own stuff. I have reached the saturation point with "stuff" and can't handle anymore. WAH! You are so sweet to have a giveaway but please give the other ladies my shot at it --- otherwise I may end up in a rubber room hahahhah.
Hope your toesies are feeling better!

Happy weekend!